City of Salisbury
$89,655 – $98,986 DOQ Excellent Range of Benefits
Situated between the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean is the capital of the Eastern Shore, Salisbury, Maryland. With a population of over 32,000, Salisbury has become home to a very diverse community of people. Whether it is for the vibrant economic opportunity, quality public education, world-class healthcare, reinvigorated environmental stewardship, or globally known corporations, people are coming to be a part of this ever changing town.
The City of Salisbury is looking for an energetic and detail oriented leader, with a track record of career accomplishments to serve in the capacity of Fire Chief. Top candidates for this challenging leadership role must thrive in a robust, fast-paced, and complex environment. The next Chief will be creative, strategic, and able to fully implement best practices for a data-driven deployment of resources. The next Fire Chief will embrace and appreciate the performance of the entire Department.
The Salisbury Fire Department is a full-spectrum, combination fire and life safety agency protecting the residents who live, work, and play in Salisbury, MD and the surrounding areas, with 73 career employees and 120 volunteer members. The department covers an area of 48 square miles that includes the City of Salisbury and surrounding areas. The department is organized into 3 areas: Administration, Operations, and Fire and Life Safety/Prevention. The SFD Administrative section manages all support and logistics for the department in the areas of Maintenance, Supply, Training, and EMS Admin/Quality Assurance. SFD Operations consist of Fire Suppression/Rescue, Emergency Medical, and Special Operations services. Special Operations services consist of Hazardous Materials, Technical Rescue (Confined Space/Trench/High Angle/Swift and Flood Water Rescue). The Fire and Life Safety Division provides plan review, permitting, and inspections support to the City’s Department of Infrastructure and Development and inspection and code enforcement support to the City’s Department of Housing and Community Development with a Fire Marshal and Fire Inspector. All services are provided from three fire stations and one Administrative fire headquarters. In all the department operates 5 Engines, 2 Quints, 1 Aerial Tower, 1 Heavy Rescue, 2 Brush Units, 5 Specialty Units, 6 ALS Ambulances, 1 Fire Suppression/Rescue Boat, and numerous support vehicles. In 2017 the department responded to 13,440 calls for service – 3,516 fire and 9,924 EMS.”
Duties: Directs and manages a combination fire and emergency/medical services department through utilization of a diverse workforce in a rapidly changing diverse community; directs and oversees all department operations including budgeting, planning, general command and control of personnel; develops and implements policies and procedures.
Additionally, the ideal candidate must possess the following qualifications:
• Proven leadership qualities with the ability to build relationships of trust, respect, and credibility in the community and internally with staff and colleagues;
• A commitment to public service, fiscal responsibility, and innovation in government;
• Outstanding communication skills which convey confidence and credibility, and a willingness to engage the public and other stakeholders;
• Strong advocacy skills with the ability to garner support from stakeholders, including the public;
• Proven ability in budget development and management;
• Competency in exercising fiduciary responsibility to protect the interests of the City and the public;
• The ability to balance competing interests in a political environment;
• Strong political acumen and proven effectiveness in developing and maintaining productive working relationships with surrounding agencies, regional partners, as well as state and federal representatives;
• Visionary planning and change agent skills with a demonstrated record of successful
implementation of strategic and long-range business plans;
• Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to proactively identify and support creative and viable business solutions and leadership during periods of transition and change;
• Experience working in an urban and diverse community;
• Active and genuine commitment to managing diversity in the workplace;
• Proven experience in leading and managing a high-performing diverse team.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree plus ten years of experience in firefighting and/or EMS with five years at a supervisory level in a fire department, with combination service. Preference given to degree related to fire service or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Estimated start date will be July 2018
Closing Date: May 4, 2018
APPLY: Submit City application, cover letter, and resume to:
City of Salisbury HR
125 N. Division St.
Salisbury, MD 21801
410-548-1065 Fax: 410-548-3748
Web site: www.salisbury.md
E-mail: [email protected]