The following is a brief description of benefits available to all full-time employees. Please Review the Employee Handbook for more detailed descriptions of benefits.
1. HEALTH INSURANCE: Health insurance coverage includes medical, prescription drug, dental and vision. Coverage begins the first of the month following the completion of 30 days of employment and is deducted bi-weekly. Payroll deductions will start 30 days prior to the activation of coverage.
2. FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNTS: All full-time employees have the opportunity to enroll in the FSA program. We offer enrollment in both the Healthcare FSA and Childcare FSA. The payroll deductions are pre-tax.
3. VOLUNTARY BENEFITS: All full-time employees are eligible to elect voluntary benefits to help pay for out-of-pocket expenses that medical insurance may not cover. Options include Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness, Disability, Hospital and Life Insurance. These plans are fully funded by the employee.
4. LIFE INSURANCE: The City provides Life Insurance for all full-time employees. Coverage begins the first day of the month following completion of 30 days of employment. Eligible employees receive a death benefit of $10,000 and at age 65 the benefit decreases to $6,500.
5. MSRPS (Maryland State Retirement & Pension System): All full-time employees must participate in the State of Maryland Retirement System. Employees in both the Employee Pension System and Law Enforcement Officers Pension System (LEOPS) must contribute seven percent (7%) of their annual salary divided by 26 pay periods beginning with their first pay.
6. 457(b) DEFERRED COMPENSATION: All full-time employees have the opportunity to enroll in the 457 (b) Deferred Compensation Plan through payroll deductions. On a yearly basis, the City Council approves a percentage match by the City. The payroll deductions are pre-tax.
7. EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EAP): Employees and their immediate family members have access to 5 free counseling sessions with a professional counseling service per calendar year. The sessions include, in-person, telephone and virtual appointments. If an employee experiences more than one (1) issue in a given year, the session count resets for each new issue.
The list of Participating Providers can be found here.
8. PAID PARENTAL LEAVE:
Eligibility: Employees who have been employed with the city for one (1) year and worked 1250 hours during this year are eligible.
Benefit: Maximum of six (6) weeks (or 240 hours) of paid parental leave following the birth of an employee’s child or the placement of a child with an employee in connection with adoption.
This policy will run concurrently with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Employees may take this leave continuously for the six (6) weeks or use it intermittently over the 12 months following the birth or adoption of a child.
9. ANNUAL LEAVE: All full-time employees accrue annual leave at the following rate, commencing with the first full month of service after the month of employment.
Completed Service Leave Earned per Month
0 – 1 year = .83 days per month
1 – 5 years = 1 day per month
6 – 10 years = 1 ¼ days per month
11 – 15 years = 1 ½ days per month
16 – 20 years = 1 ¾ days per month
21+ years = 2 days per month
A maximum of 30 workdays of annual leave can be carried over from one fiscal year to the next.
10. SICK LEAVE: Full-time employees are credited with one sick leave day per month upon completion of one month of employment.
11. TUITION REIMBURSEMENT: All full-time employees are eligible for 75% tuition reimbursement for up to 12 credits annually. These credits must be for seeking a degree which the City deems appropriate and approved in advance. Employees must work at least one year following the payment of any tuition.
12. PARKING: Free parking is available to City employees at various locations.
13. BANKING: City employees and their immediate families are eligible to join the Maryland State Employees Credit Union.
14. BLOOD BANK: The City of Salisbury is a lifetime member of the Blood Bank of Delmarva, and will ask for your participation through blood drives.
15. HOUSE KEYS FOR EMPLOYEES: The City of Salisbury is a participating employer with the House Keys 4 Employees Program. If you qualify for a Maryland Mortgage Program Loan such as a CDA or MMP-Plus or a VA or FHA Loan you may qualify for the House Keys 4 Employees Program and receive assistance with your closing costs. Please contact The Human Resources Department for more information or visit Maryland Mortgage Program web site www.mmp.maryland.org
16. LIST OF OBSERVED HOLIDAYS:
New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Day
Day after Thanksgiving
In accordance with Leave and Holiday Benefits, if a legal Holiday falls on a Saturday, the Friday immediately preceding the holiday shall be deemed and treated as a Holiday. If the Holiday falls on a Sunday, the Monday immediately following the holiday shall be deemed and treated as a Holiday.
In order for employees to receive their holiday pay, the employee must work their scheduled workday prior to and the scheduled workday immediately following the paid holiday.