Concrete Maintenance Procedure
THE PROCESS LISTED BELOW IS ONLY FOR THE REQUESTED OR REQUIRED MAINTENANCE OF CURB,
GUTTER AND SIDEWALK WITHIN THE CITY OF SALISBURY CORPORATE LIMITS.
If the property owner intends to perform the work on their own with a City Approved Private
Contractor; the following process shall be performed:
1) Contact the Department of Infrastructure & Development (DID) and request a Break Permit.
2) Fill out the Break Permit and return it to Room 202 of the Government Office Building (GOB) located at
125 North Division Street. It should take approximately 24-48 hours for the permit to be processed.
3) DID will notify you via the provided phone number when the permit has been processed.
4) There will be a $25.00 fee when you return for the Break Permit.
5) After the Break Permit is approved, picked up and the fee is paid; the property owner’s contractor may
proceed with the proposed work only after providing DID 24 hours prior notice to starting work at this
phone number: (410) 548-3170
6) All work by the contractor must adhere to the latest version of the City of Salisbury Standards and
Specifications. The contractor shall have a copy of the City of Salisbury Standards and Specifications onsite
while performing the approved work.
If the property owner chooses to utilize the Citywide Contractor; the following process will be
1) Notify Salisbury Field Operations of the damage.
2) Field Operations will evaluate the damage.
3) Using THE POLICY FOR CURB, GUTTER AND SIDEWALK REPLACEMENT, the evaluated damage will be
compared to the cases specified in this policy and the responsible party will be determined. If the
property owner is responsible wholly or in part, an estimate will be provided to the property owner for
review. If the property owner chooses to or is required to proceed with the repairs, the estimate will
need to be signed and returned to DID. There is one caveat to this. If the damage is a safety hazard as
determined by the City, the City will require the work to be performed and those responsible will be billed
for the work as per City policy.
4) After the work is approved by the property owner or required by the City, the work will typically be
performed on a first come first serve basis.
5) The actual work will be scheduled when budgeted funds are available to perform the proposed work.
The property owner must contact the Department of Infrastructure & Development prior to breaking any structure within the
roadway. This includes the cutting, removal and/or excavation of any soil, concrete and / or asphalt
within a City of Salisbury right-of-way or easement within the City of Salisbury Corporate Limits. All
provisions of the Break Permit must be adhered to by the Property Owner and their contractor. A
contractor on the approved contractor’s list must be used. If there is a contractor that the property
owner would like to use that is not on this list; that contractor would need to fill out and submit the
Experience Questionnaire for “Approved Contractor” for approval.
Sidewalks & Curbs
Please see the downloadable policy for all information, illustrations and content.