On August 30 crews from the City of Salisbury Fire Department responded to an automatic fire alarm activation at an occupied three-story student housing apartment building located at 1401 University Terrace. City Fire Department personnel arrived on the scene to find that a fire in one of the apartment units had been extinguished by a single sprinkler head activation. Crews shut down the water flow and assisted building maintenance with clean up.
Further investigation revealed the cause of the fire to be accidental due to an unattended candle. Candles are one of the leading causes of fire in campus housing. Because of this, the Fire Department highly recommends the use of flameless candles.
If you would like more information about this topic, please contact the office of the Fire Marshal at 410‐548‐3120.