City of Salisbury
Department of Water Works
$76,346 – $85,978 DOQ Excellent Range of Benefits
Situated between the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean is the capital of the Eastern Shore, Salisbury, Maryland. With a population of over 32,000, Salisbury has become home to a very diverse community of people. Whether it is for the vibrant economic opportunity, quality public education, world-class healthcare, reinvigorated environmental stewardship, or globally known corporations, people are coming to be a part of this ever changing town.
The City of Salisbury is looking for an energetic and detail oriented leader, with a track record of career accomplishments to serve in the capacity of Director of the Water Works Department. Top candidates for this challenging leadership role must thrive in a robust, fast-paced, and complex environment. The next Director will be creative, strategic, and able to fully implement best practices for a data-driven deployment of resources. The Director will embrace and appreciate the performance of the entire Department.
The Water Works Department is a dynamic department that administers operations and maintenance for two divisions, Water and Wastewater, compromised of 50 full-time employees. The Water Divisions operates two water treatment facilities, with three remote water storage tanks. The two facilities have a combined capacity of 10.5 million gallons per day supplied with an average of 5.5 million gallons pumped daily. The Wastewater Division manages a recently upgraded 5A S wastewater treatment facility, which operates under a National Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit issued by the Maryland Department of the Environment. The wastewater plant is responsible for 46 remote pump stations which circulates 6.8 million gallons of waste per day and administers an industrial pretreatment program under the mandate by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Duties: Directs and oversees all department operations including budgeting, planning, programming and personnel; develops and implements policies and procedures; collaborates with other City departments to administer citywide initiatives.
Additionally, the ideal candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Proven leadership qualities with the ability to build relationships of trust, respect, and credibility in the community and internally with staff and colleagues;
• A commitment to public service, fiscal responsibility, and innovation in government;
• Outstanding communication skills, which convey confidence and credibility, and a willingness to engage the public and other stakeholders;
• Strong advocacy skills with the ability to garner support from stakeholders, including the public;
• Proven ability in budget development and management;
• Competency in exercising fiduciary responsibility to protect the interests of the City and the public;
• Strong political acumen and proven effectiveness in developing and maintaining productive working relationships with surrounding agencies, regional and state partners;
• Visionary planning and change agent skills with a demonstrated record of successful
implementation of strategic and long-range business plans;
• Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to proactively identify and support creative and viable business solutions and leadership during periods of transition and change;
• Experience working in an urban and diverse community;
• Active and genuine commitment to managing diversity in the workplace;
• Proven experience in leading and managing a high-performing diverse team.
Requirements: Master’s degree in engineering related field preferred, plus ten years of experience in Water and/or Waste Water Treatment with five years at a supervisory level or equivalent combination of education and experience. Treatment plant operator license is recommended.
Estimated start date will be August/September 2018
Closing Date: July 20, 2018
APPLY: Submit City application, cover letter and resume to:
City of Salisbury HR
125 N. Division St.
Salisbury, MD 21801
410-548-1065 Fax: 410-548-3748
Web site: www.salisbury.md
E-mail: [email protected]