The City of Salisbury is proud to announce that it has partnered with Salisbury PFLAG for Pride 2021; a month-long celebration of the LGBTQIA+ community during the month of June.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month (LGBT Pride Month) is celebrated annually in June to honor the 1969 Stonewall riots and works to achieve equal justice and equal opportunity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) Americans. In June of 1969, patrons and supporters of the Stonewall Inn in New York City staged an uprising to resist the police harassment and persecution to which LGBT Americans were commonly subjected. This uprising marks the beginning of a movement to outlaw discriminatory laws and practices against LGBT Americans.
Earlier today our community gathered in Downtown Salisbury to raise the Progress Pride Flag over our City. The Progress Pride Flag is similar to the rainbow pride flag know around the world, with the addition of black and brown stripes to represent people of color, as well as baby blue, pink and white to represent the transsexual community.
“This community continues to amaze me. It is no small feat that we have the first rainbow crosswalk in Maryland, that we continue to raise the Pride flag on our streets, that we have inclusive laws on the books to support our trans and non-binary friends, and that we are planning our first PRIDE Festival for 2022,” shared City Administrator Julia Glanz.
In a joint partnership, the City of Salisbury and Salisbury PFLAG, which organizes Salisbury Pride, are pleased to announce a full month of exciting events scheduled for Pride Month. All activities are open to the public and serve as community-building events purposed to increase visibility, celebrate diversity, strengthen alliances, and advance equality.
- Community Project Ribbons of Pride June 5th, 12p-2p, 115 South Division St outside Delmarva Now
- Pride Happy Hour June 9th, 4p-7p, The Brick Room 116 North Division St
- 5th Anniversary of Pulse Remembrance June 12th, 8p-9p, The Riverwalk Amphitheater 210 South Salisbury Blvd
- PFLAG Community Meeting June 14th, 6:30p-8p, The Ward Museum 909 South Schumaker Dr
- PFLAG and Pride at 3rd Friday June 18th, 5p-8p, Downtown Salisbury, Main St
- Salisbury PFLAG Presents Panel Discussion: The Black LGBTQ+ Experience June 20th, 2p-3p, Zoom
- Drag Show at The Warehouse June 25th, 9p-midnight, The Warehouse 1147 South Salisbury Blvd
- Rainbow Crosswalk Repainting June 26th, 9a-12p, Crosswalk located between South Division and Market Street in front of the Downtown Wicomico Public Library
In addition to these events, online visitors can experience video blogs, music, news, resources and more at www.salisbury.md/pride.