Looking to plant a few trees in your yard? Our Green SBY Team put together this list of recommended trees for within the City of Salisbury. These species do especially well in our area. Click each tree to explore more about it on the Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree Guide.
–Bald Cypress (Good for sites that flood!)
–Sweetbay Magnolia (Evergreen)
To see a full list of native Maryland trees please visit https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/habitat/wamdtrees.aspx
How to Plant a Tree
· Remove all wires, ropes, or burlap surrounding the roots of the tree.
· Dig a hole five times the diameter of the root ball, but approximately the same depth of the root ball.
· Set the tree in the center of the planting area so that the upper surface of the root ball is level with the surrounding soil.
· Fill the hole with soil.
· It is preferable not to stake or wrap the tree to stabilize it.
· Use water to pack or settle the soil around the root ball and apply a two to four inch layer of mulch over the entire planting area.